Thursday 31 July 2008

'Threads of Meaning' - PSG Summer School 2008

Resolved piece by Una Smith
Three workshops under this banner title were run by Jan Evans, Dorothy Tucker and myself. I optimistically called my workshop 'Seeing the Light'. Using transparent materials and basing ideas on drawings of glass shapes, students rose to the challenge of 'learning their lines' to create a series of experimental and very sensitive pieces in stitched, drawn, rubbed and wire lines.
I was fortunate to work with 16 extremely hard-working and imaginative students. The five days passed quickly and was full of fun, friendship and (I have to mention it) food. We were treated to three 'feasts' per day by the extremely helpful staff at Harper Adams. After such a lot of concentrated work, we almost fought to be first in the queue for the dessert trolley! I hope you enjoy the selection of photos below. If you have any you'd like to contribute, I'd love to include them if you would attach them to an email to me at sian@distantstitch.co.uk .




Students - Valerie, Una, Jane and Julia hard at work.

Below - Valerie then Sandra





Lots of wonderful work was produced developed from drawing of continuous lines from the bottles still life. Transparent and translucent layers of papers and fabrics were built up, sometimes trapping wire shapes and sections of soluble stitching.





















The three tutors, Jan, Dorothy and myself spent each evening in serious discussion of the day's work and planning the complexities of the rest of the programme.




No comments:

Post a Comment