Saturday 16 May 2009

'Tread Softly'


Close-up detail below.
It's been a busy time for deadlines to produce my own work. I've just sent off 'Tread Softly' as a possible entry to the Pfaff Art Embroidery competition. [I was one of the finalists last year with a large piece using a surface of broken egg shells called 'Break an Egg to Save a Sailor' - see blog entry two years ago.]

The theme of this competition is 'Landscape, Let's Travel'. My piece is made of small fragments of personal photos and fabrics, stitched together to form a pathway, strewn with daisies. Water-soluble machine stitched 'feet', lightly walk over the path. The words 'tread softly' form the lacy stitching on the feet.
This quote from W B Yeats from his poem 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven' seem to echo my thoughts; "I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so beautiful, Sian. So 'you' - delicate and full of detail on different levels.
    And how did you manage to pack that up for transporting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sian, what amazing art pieces you are creating. I love the way you are reading these beautiful verses and Tennyson's yesterday. I wonder if you know the works by a Japanese artist, Jacob Hashimoto. I discovered them at a recent exhibition and on seeing yours I've immediately established a connection

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that is amazing. Good luck with it. I keep looking at there is so much detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sian this is absolutely gorgeous. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is selected. what size is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I'm Sarah Wolfe. You came to Farnborough Sixth College today and I really enjoyed your inspirational talk and looking at your work! If those boots were my size I'd be tempted to try them on! Thanks

    ReplyDelete