Saturday 11 July 2009

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

View of the hill just outside Cannington, called Cannington Park.

I hope you like this quote which Kathy Johnson puts at the bottom of her emails. Thank you Kathryn for your message left here, but I couldn't find a way of replying to it other than saying here that I hope all goes peacefully for you.

Today is the funeral of my friend Jenny who died last week at 55 just before her youngest son's 18th birthday. Jenny was a gentle soul who grew native species trees and shrubs in her small nursery around her cottage, just along the narrow lane from me. She also had a strength and determination to fight injustice. She encouraged a group of us neighbours to protest about the expansion of a nearby quarry which is eating away at a small wooded hill on the outskirts of Cannington; the site of an historical iron-age fort as well as a local beauty spot. Jenny organised us, wrote letters and walked experts from English Heritage around the hill. The battle is not won as too many motorways and runways call for the limestone from this hill. I expect the whole village will be at the church.

More photos from the Summer School tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your friend, I hope the funeral brings some comfort.Thankyou for a lovely summer school when you must have been feeling so sad.
    love
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad about this news thinking especially of her young son. When I was a girl about his age I lost a younger brother at the end of 5 years of struggle and pain and I was so devastated and ailing that for a very long time I could not even bear to speak about this because I was afraid to lose control. My heart is at the church today with you and her family.
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a waste ,she was so young.I hope that her determination and energy continue to inspire others. She sounded like a very caring person who will be very sadly missed.
    Take care,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad has lived knowing everything is a miracle. I have spent the last 48 hours at his bedside in hospital. His 89 year old heart is still strong but he has a blood clot on his lung and his kidneys have failed. He just lies there breathing in and out waiting to leave, mouth as dry as the desert because he is not able to drink any water. Life and death are strange, terrible and confusing things.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. She sounds like the sort of person we would all like to be. I hope that she has inspired others to continue to fight against the spoiling of our countryside and history. Meg x

    ReplyDelete