Wednesday 14 August 2013

Adding the birds

Today I explored ways of adding the ‘birds’ to the cane, trying not to be too pictorial.  I appreciated having a studio full of ‘materials’ that I can pick up and use. It was thoughtful fun to wrap, tie, stitch, knot and loop.

birds1

birds2

birds3

I tried wrapping by hand with paper yarn fabric strips and small fragments of printed fabric and perforated paper.

The perforated paper is old OS maps that have been machine stitched, painted with the charcoal dye and then varnished to strengthen.

I also tried machine stitching which I find a bit too automated looking. 

birds4  

birds6

 

birds7

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Sian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you're pushing this project forward, I particularly like the map fragments.

    ReplyDelete